Stop Pete Brunstetter (R) – Castle Doctrine

February 24th, 2013 by NC Tea Party Staff Categories: 2nd Amendment 9 Responses

Action Item: Senator Peter Brunstetter, a Republican, is trying to make it a felony offense in NC to willfully discharge a weapon in any building or vehicle, including your home, to harm another or incite fear. Big government Republicans are just as bad and dangerous as a Liberal. So, with this short bill, Senator Brunstetter is seeking to overturn the Castle Doctrine in NC.
This bill makes a criminal of anyone defending themselves in any building, structure, motor vehicle, or other conveyance, erection, or enclosure with the intent to do harm or incite fear. Call Brunstetter and tell him to rescind: Senate Bill 124.§14-34.10. Which states: Discharge firearm within enclosure to do harm or incite fear. Unless covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, any person who willfully or wantonly discharges or attempts to discharge a firearm within any building, structure, motor vehicle, or other conveyance, erection, or enclosure with the intent to do harm or incite fear shall be punished as a Class E felon.
Link to bill
He and his progressive friends have no right to trample upon our second amendment rights and make felons of us for protecting ourselves or our loved ones. We all have an inalienable right, enshrined in our US Constitution, to keep and bear arms. No government or bureaucrat has the authority to take that away. We will actively seek another to run against him in the next election.
Phone: (919) 733-7850
Email: Peter.Brunstetter@ncleg.net

1. John Walker says:

Senator Brunstetter, I read the response from your office and see your point, however, remember what occurred in New York, when their legislature created a law prohibiting pistol magazines with more than seven rounds…they forgot to exclude Military and Police. A simple rewording, excluding anyone who uses their firearms in accordance with the Castle Doctrine would, I believe, solve this problem.

A Voter and a Patriot

2. LD says:

Apparently the senator doesn’t understand that we already have laws on the books that deal with shooters discharging their weapons in stores. Enforce the laws on the books. Why do politicians believe that creating more laws make them better politicians?

3. Bill Patton says:

I received the following email from Senator Brunstetter’s office following my call.

Thank you for contacting Senator Brunstetter regarding Senate Bill 124. Below are the Senator’s comments on the bill.
    “I strongly support the Castle Doctrine and Second Amendment Rights. Senate Bill 124 does not change the Castle Doctrine in North Carolina. This bill goes against the criminal and not against the gun.

“Senate Bill 124 has been filed, at the request of law enforcement officials, to address a loop hole that was discovered in the law when a 21 year old man walked into the Kernersville Wal-Mart at 11:30 p.m. and fired three shots from his .50 Caliber Desert Eagle Handgun. One round went through a TV and a wall, narrowly missing an employee in the next room. Another shot narrowly missed a customer before the man turned and walked out of the store. Based on evidence found, authorities believe he intended to force police to shoot him (commonly called “suicide by cop”) but changed his plan.

“In charging the individual, Detectives, working with the District Attorney’s Office, discovered that although it is a felony to discharge a weapon into a building, or to stand at the threshold and discharge it into a building, it is not a felony once you are in the building. Since this guy could not be charged with a felony, he was charged with two misdemeanors (discharging a weapon in the City limits; carrying a concealed weapon without a permit). He pled guilty, paid a fine and can still legally carry a firearm.

“In order to protect our family and friends from random acts of violence such as this, our law must be strengthened.

Senator Pete Brunstetter

Email from:
    Stephen Ogden
    Research Assistant
    Office of Senator Peter S. Brunstetter

4. Bill Patton says:

I called his office today and spoke to a gentleman who said this does NOT affect the Castle Doctrine. The intent of the legislation was intended to address a situation of a shooting in a Kernersville Wal-Mart where someone fired a gun inside the store. The police suppossedly could not charge the person with a felony b/c there was no law stating this. (?) I stressed to his office that the proposed law should specifically address that it does not weaken the Castle Doctrine. We’ll see what happens. Everyone should call themselves and express their objection that the Castle Doctrine is not stated in the bill.

5. Thad Talisman says:

Senator Brunstetter, Why are you trying to strip law abiding citizens of their God give right to defend themselves?
    This is once again big government is coming into our homes, and lives trying to say that you know best. The State and US Constitution Give us the right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That is right, The Right to Life. If you make us Felons For defending our live and those of our family, you are denying us of our Constitutional Rights. I ask you to rescind Your Senate Bill 124.14-34. If you believe in the The State and US Constitution you must. Thank You Thad B Talisman

6. Sherrie McCall says:

Sorry, Senator Brunstetter, this is taking our constitutional right to defend ourselves in our own homes or on our own property away. We will have to report you to Oathkeepers.org. This proposal, out of the same county (Forsyth, NC) which found it humorous to accuse me of Going Armed to the Terror of the People for walking across my front yard in Winston-Salem with my son’s Crossman BB Gun Air Rifle while packing up for a picnic, is reprehensible and shall not stand. The two LIE Witnesses in my case shall be found guilty of perjury, making a false report, criminal mischief and inflicting mental anguish on me and my minor child. My public defender whom refused to file an appeal in this case, to allow my constitutional right to have a jury trial, shall also be brought to justice. I am currently seeking a civil rights attorney. I want my son’s BB Gun Rifle returned from the evidence junk room at WSPD. BB Gun Rifles are not unusual or dangerous, especially when the SAFETY is ON!

7. Don says:

We, the people, need to start impeaching/recalling state/federal legislators,executives, and judges who attack the very constitution they have sworn to support and defend. We need a zero-tolerance policy against attacks on the constitution! Senator Brunstetter is as good a place to start as any.

• Charles McAllister says:

I agree with Don, we need to impeach some of thses fellows who are dismantling this country little by little. I get a ton of emails asking for money from dozens of sources,most of which are ok , some I am not sure about. They are all conservative groups. Would it not be a good idea to consolidate these groups? Conservatives getting together in only a few groups, sending their money there, and actively supporting them in any way we can. Going by my emails of all these groups, we are all spread out with money being all spread out. I think we should narrow things down to a couple groups and our money goes to them and support and they go after the treasonous leaders that are popping up all over this country. We are like a broom, we need to be like a sharpened sword!
      Chuck

8. Richard Fain says:

Senator Brunstetter I strongly encourage you to rescind your Senate Bill 124.14-34.10. It is an illegal act against our Second amendment right . I am a voter and as many other proud North Carolina residents . We are very unhappy with the way our Country and State are being carelessly run by arrogant individuals whom push their own agenda on The People that expect them to run the Country / and or State by the Constitution . I can assure you Sir that we the voter will star putting individuals in our government that will uphold our values and Constitutional rights !